The Sustainable Bioeconomy for Arid Regions (SBAR) Center of Excellence, up to $15 million over a five year period funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture, was established in September 2017, with the intended purpose of developing a systems approach for feedstock development, production, and delivery in the Southwest United States. It is further enhanced by the development and implementation of education, extension and outreach to teachers, 4-H youth groups, and farmers across the region. Details of this project can be found at: http://sbar.arizona.edu
Model and Algorithm Development for Smart Biomass Supply Chain for Guar and Guayule
Dr. Fan’s group applies optimization techniques for design and operations of biomass supply chain and feedstock logistics in economically efficient and environmentally sustainable ways, to co-produce biofuels and bioproducts from guayule and guar. The whole study consists of development of three decision support modules.
- Smart Facility Planning and Transportation (the research framework for this module shown below)
- Sustainability and Economics Analysis (the research framework for this module shown below)
- Review on Optimization Methods for Biomass Supply Chain: Models and Algorithms, Sustainable Issues, Challenges and Opportunities
- *O. Sun, N. Fan, A review on optimization methods for biomass supply chain: models and algorithms, sustainable issues, challenges and opportunities, Process Integration and Optimization for Sustainability, Vol. 4, pp 203–226, DOI: 10.1007/s41660-020-00108- 9, 2020.
- E. Sproul, H.M. Summers, C. Seavert, J. Robbs, S. Khanal, V. Mealing, A.E. Landis, N. Fan, *O. Sun, J.C. Quinn, Integrated techno-economic and environmental analysis of guayule rubber production, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 273, 122811, DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2020.122811, 2020.
- H. Summers, E. Sproul, C. Seavert, S. Angadi, J. Robbs, S. Khanal, P. Gutierrez, T. Teegerstrom, *D. A. Zuniga Vazquez, N. Fan, J. Quinn, Economic and environmental analyses of incorporating guar into the American Southwest, submitted, 6/2020.
- *D.A. Zuniga Vazquez, *O. Sun, N. Fan, E. Sproul, H. Summers, J. Quinn, S. Khanal, P. Gutierrez, V. Mealing, A. Landis, C. Seavert, T. Teegerstrom, B. Evancho, Integrating environmental and social impacts into optimal design of guayule and guar supply chains, submitted, 8/2020.